It is important that you find out what is causing mold to grow in the first place. If you do not address the cause, you will not be able to get rid of the mold long term. There may be some kind of moisture intrusion or leak that you have not detected. If this is not fixed, mold will not be the only problem you face.
You should be able to clean up a mold patch yourself if it is small enough. While this does depend on a variety of factors, if the mold patch is not covering an area larger than 10 square feet, it is ok to clean. Here are some things to have in mind before you carry out the task:
Wear protective clothing and a respirator mask. This is so that you avoid being exposed to mold spores which we know are hazardous to health.
Water and detergent can be used for cleaning the mold but it's important to keep in mind that before repainting or caulking, the area must be completely dry and free of all traces of mold.
If you discover mold in soft furnishings or carpets, this is a much bigger challenge to clean, not to mention mold and mildew stains are very hard to remove. With cases of mold in a carpet, you may find it easier to replace it. You may also want to consult with a professional cleaning company for advice.
Discovering mold in your home is a cause for concern. If you are worried about the possibility of mold, please feel free to contact us.