Over 164,000 injuries are caused each year in the United States alone because of using a ladder incorrectly or unsafely. Unfortunately many have been fatal, so how can we keep safe on a ladder?
A few important safety tips to keep in mind:
- Its very annoying to have to always climb up and down the ladder, just to move it a little bit, but its essential to do so. Overreaching on a ladder could prove fatal.
- Make sure your ladder is in a safe and secure position before ascending it. If it is uneven or wobbly, do not ascend it.
- Don't place ladders in doorways that have an unlocked door, or one that is in constant use.
- Maybe you are very confident on a ladder, but this is when you should be even more careful. Skipping any rungs on the way up or down is very dangerous. You could easily loose your balance.
- Interestingly the majority of people who die from falling off a ladder, fall from 10 feet or less, so be aware of becoming over confident as you are near the bottom of the ladder.
- It is ill advised to leave a ladder unattended. It is also not advisable for anyone to use a ladder that they have not secured themselves.
- This may seem an obvious point, but as tempting as it may be to use a ladder for a different purpose than for that which it is intended is a bad idea. Using a ladder for such things as a ramp or for holding building materials can be very dangerous.
We want you all to be safe when using a ladder, please contact us with any questions.